||Last Updated: Jun 15, 2012 - 11:06:09 AM
Buggies were a great part of our early towns as they were a means of getting from place to place without riding a horse. Mifflinburg was called BUGGY TOWN for its making of so many Kinds of buggies. There were spring wagons, canopy top surrey, light delivery wagon, carriages of all kinds.
John S. Zitler was a buggy manufacturer in Mifflinburg, starting the business in 1841. In 1846 Thomas Gutelius began the manufacturer of buggies and carriages. Others were: T.B. Taylor, H.A. Taylor, Joseph and John Gutelius, W.F. Brown, A.A. Hopp, James Moss, O.P. Mench, D.B. Miller, John G. Miller, and W.H. Hursh. In 1897 the Mifflinburg Company was organized with many of these men, and it became known as the Mifflinburg Body Company. Thomas Gutelius, was the longest in business as far as is known.
The Gutelius Carriage Works was situated on Third Street on a lot owned by Kryder Kurtz. Buggies, carriages and wagons were turned out by this company. “Flora” was the horse that belonged to the Gutelius family. Sleighs, buggies, and wagons were produced in a shop owned and operated by Robert A. Wendel. The shop was built in 1889 and continued for a number of years. Later it became the Brown Carriage Works. Some of the men who worked there were: Charles Harter, Samuel Simonton, Harry Wendel and Robert Wendel.
The 1850 Census for Mifflinburg shows: John M. Taylor, 32; Isabel, 28; Edwin, 7; Thomas B., 5; Robert, 3.
The 1860 Census for Mifflinburg shows: John Taylor, 52; Isabella, 49; Thomas, 25; Henry A., 23; Mary, 3; William, 10.
1860 Census for Mifflinburg shows: Jacob Gutelius, 37; Mary A., 36, Alice, 14; Harry, 11; Frederick, 5; Robert, 3; William, 1.
1850 Census for Mifflinburg: John Gutelius, 43, Catherine, 39; Thomas, 19; Herbert, 16; David, 15; Charles, 13; Sarah, 11, Annie, 9; Ida, 7; Joseph, 5; John, 2.
1860 Census for Mifflinburg: Thomas Gutelius, 47; Franklin, 17; Emma, 16; Nelson, 14; Maggie, 9; William, 8.
1860 Census for Mifflinburg: Elizabeth Mench, 66; Abraham, 24; Oliver, 28; Melanthon, 21, Alice, 18.
1910 Census for Mifflinburg: Alfred Hopp, 54; wife, 51
1910 Census for Mifflinburg: William Hursh, 45; Myrtle 30; a son, 16.
1910 Census for Mifflinburg: Thomas Taylor, 65; wife, 52; Mabel, 24.
Some of the early business places in Mifflinburg were: J.H. Albright and Sons’ Implement Works, at Third and Railroad Streets. They made hayrakes, corn planters, harrows, rollers, etc. They used a blacksmith shop. The planing mill at this site in 1942 was run by Charles M. Snyder.
The foundry business in Mifflinburg was started by David Joel Herr about 1834. The first foundry was of course, run by horse power. and the making of castings for plows which were furnished with the woodwork in another shop of the same establishment. The finished plows were taken away by the wagon load and sold in the adjoining counties. The business then passed own to other hands, including S. & D. Herr, Dreisbach, Gutelius, Youngman, Stayman and Zimmerman. Zimmerman moved the business to the corner of Third and Railroad Streets and added a steam engine, planing mill and scroll-saws. The business was continued there by J.M. Stayman, and J.H. Albright and sons. Some of the early workers were: Jackson and Daniel Raker, Henry Stuck, Anthony Doebler, Clarence Dorman, Gus Gilbert, John Strickler, Allen Stahl, James Hassinger, Jack Raker, Jr., William Raker, Harry Stuck, James Albright, William Kline, John Kleckner, Ralph Stahl and Oliver Mader.
S. Gensburg had a store at the corner of Chestnut and Fifth which stood where Edmund Shively’s Electrical Store was in the 1950s and 1960s. The country store sold almost everything needed at that time. Windows were full of the products that were for sale.
The J.D.S. Gast store probably was the most popular and well known. He had a store in 1837 which was built by Henry Gast which was on the corner of H. Spessars Strunk in 1950. The Gast Store was in the family for numerous years (over a hundred).
H.O. Bower Meat Market and residence was in town in 1905 and on the site of the old Mifflinburg Bank on Chestnut Street. The proprietor, H.O. Bower, was the husband of Mrs. Mary Etta Bower.
One of the new interesting facts about the Gutelius family is the ancestry of the family. The material is new, was done by Dr. George Gudelius (1905-1997) and was written in 2002 by Jost Gudelius, whom I have asked permission to use some of it.
It says John Peter Gutelius born Niederholzklau, after, May, 1708- until 1711 as son of Christoph Gudelius, born at Dirlenbach about 1664 and Elizabeth Magdalena Baum, born Eisern, about 1674. John Peter apparently had an illegitiment son John Henrich born at Wuerden, Sept. 6, 1743. He became the ancestor of the “Main Branch of Wuerden.” John Peter also had an illegitimate son, Johan Gudelius born at Meiswinkel, May 5, 1745 by another woman. He died July 1, 1747. John Peter emigrated to Holland and joined the French Army there. He may have gotten his army surgeon training there. He sailed from Rotterdam on the ship, “Nancy” and qualified at Philadelphia, Aug. 31, 1750. John Peter was son of Christoph and Elizabeth Magdalena Baum Gudelius. Adam Frederick Gudelius is supposedly to be John Peter’s father, but is not mentioned in any record. Wendelinus Gudelius is supposedly the ancestor of the Mifflinburg family.
Going back again to the material written by Jost Gudelius about 2002, I find the following: John Peter Gutelius, of Niederholzklau, came to Philadelphia, Pa. in 1750. His wife was Anna Maria Deitzler, probably of German origin as there are Deitzler family in Germany, not in Netherlands.
The old family of Gudelius, normally are Protestant, The Gudelius- Sauerlander clan are Roman Catholic.
Johannes Gudelius of Erfurt in 1609 was from a family of teachers, pastors, and medical doctors. Samuel and David were sons of a shoemaker at Erfurt. Wenderlinus Gudelius liked registers and lists. In 1620 he sat up an inventory of objects destinated for his children. He died, Sept. 10, 1622 on the way from Ballersbach to the market in Heborn. In his estate are listed a black cow, a black young cow, 10 pigs, and 14 sheep which show how deeply pastors were engaged in agricultural activities. His wife died in 1619, more than 50 years old and he married second Elisabeth Wetz.
In 1605 he took over the parish of Ballersbach and he took the register with him from Breitscheid which has the baptism records of the church at Breitscheid. He had children: Matthias, born about 1590, John, the second son (John Henry really), Georgius , daughter Anna Elsbeth, Anna Catharine, and Dorothea, born to wife Margaret Will (daughter of a baker). Dec. 19, 1586 he was matriculated in the University of Heidelberg. Wendelin Gudel, the first one with the Gudelius, pastor, b. 1567 as second son of Wendelin Guedel. After he died in 1575 his wife married in 1576 Thomas Hairick of Warmstatt. Six children are mentioned in the marriage contract: Jacob, Wendelin, Elsgen, Margreta, Maria, Hilgarte who are not of age.
The Gudelius family from the old family Gudel of vine growers and farmers from Schweppenhausen, about 10 km west of Bingen, in the Gulden Halley between Bad Kreuznach and Stromberg.
This is all new material to which I feel it is important to be added to the Gutelius family history.
© Copyright 2012 by Mifflinburg Telegraph Weekly Newspaper
Top of Page